Valley YMCA Rock Climbing Wall
If you have ever wanted to try rock climbing, you're in luck. We have an indoor rock climbing wall at our Spokane Valley Y. We provide certified staff and equipment. Children ages 4 and older are welcome. Please be sure to wear appropriate clothing (clothing must be dry) and wear closed-toed shoes. We recommend no skirts or dresses. Please see Member Services for more information.
Also, ask about renting the climbing wall for your birthday party or special event.
Climbing Wall Hours of Operation
Tuesday & Thursday 4 - 7:30pm
Saturday & Sunday 2 - 7:30pm
- All climbers should be familiar with the equipment, techniques & wall safety before climbing.
- You must be 4 years of age or older to climb.
- Belay certified – Climbers must have completed Spokane Valley YMCA’s belay certification to check out equipment and belay other climbers. Climbers must be 18 years of age to check out belay equipment/belay other climbers. Members between the ages of 15 – 17 who are Belay Certified must be directly supervised by a belay certified adult (18 years of age or older).
- Belayers are required to check out a flag prior to climbing. This flag must be visible while climbing. Belay cards are valid for one calendar year and must be renewed annually.
- No running in the climbing area.
- Stay seated on bench while waiting to climb.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn. No open toe, open heal, or hard sole shoes are permitted. No barefoot climbing. No climbing in wet clothes.
- Use only holds on wall for climbing. DO NOT touch exposed metal, bolts, anchors/anchor slings, etc. DO NOT put fingers/hands in eye bolts.
- Climbers must stay “on route” while climbing due to the dangerous swing factor caused by climbing “off route.”
- Must pass bouldering safety check to boulder.
- Must check in with front desk/receive a flag when climbing wall is not open. Flag must be worn while bouldering.
- No solo climbing (bouldering) above red line (15 years of age or older).
- No solo climbing (bouldering) above the blue line (14 years & younger).
- The YMCA recommends using at least one spotter.
- The YMCA requires the use of crash pads while solo climbing (bouldering).
- Children 8 and under must be supervised and spotted by their parents/chaperones while solo climbing (bouldering).
- Yield to roped climbers and show courtesy to others bouldering/climbing.
- Never boulder/climb under another climber